AMIGOS is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas. Our strong partner network, built over 50 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
The AMIGOS Salt Lake City City Chapter recruits, trains, and supports AMIGOS participants and their families. We accept applicants in October of the fall prior to each summer experience. During the months of November through June, Salt Lake City Chapter participants will take part in local training and fundraising events as they prepare for their AMIGOS experience.
Board of Directors
President and Treasurer
Assistant Training Director
HOW TO APPLY
READY TO START YOUR APPLICATION?
1. Click here to start your application to become a National Office Participant
2. Complete your application and pay your $50 application fee. If you are applying for financial aid, complete the financial aid section within the application.
3. Complete an interview (details below).
The Salt Lake City Chapter keeps the family fee low through a combination of product sales, donor contacts through letter writing, and a family fee contribution. We chose these activities to maximize our ability to provide the AMIGOS experience to all participants without regard to family financial circumstances. All participants are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of AMIGOS training program and raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community.
AMIGOS Salt Lake City participants also raise funds through the sale of grapefruit, poinsettias, and pecans or coffee. This effort primarily takes place in November and December. Participants receive considerable help with regard to sales strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will definitely build important skills!
LETTER WRITING/DONOR CONTACTS
Each participant is required to send out 125 letters to friends and family, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the participant with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process.
Family Fee $3,750
*Family Fee $4,750 for participants joining after November 15 to account for missed fall fruit sale
(payment plan options available)
Group fundraising participation required
THE PROGRAM FEE INCLUDES:
- Chapter training materials and workshops
- Round-Trip International Airfare
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Program excursions and trainings
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- 24-hour emergency support system
THE PROGRAM FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Immunizations and pre-travel medical examinations
- Passport/visa fees
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide amounts of $500-$1000 to qualified applicants as deductions on the family fee. Financial assistance applications are due on November 15th, 2017. Please contact the Salt Lake City Chapter for additional information. In addition, participants who are returning for an additional summer receive a $500 discount.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips participants with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The Salt Lake City Chapter AMIGOS training is youth-led, experiential learning that prepares participants for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help participants succeed beyond AMIGOS. Training sessions are facilitated by the Salt Lake Chapter’s training team and board of directors.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- 2 two-hour trainings per month
- One fall and one spring overnight retreat
- Service projects
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer